Aug 29, 2013
BETTER LIVING CENTRE, CHEESEWERKS, FALL HOME SHOW, GARLIC, KETCHUP, KEVIN DURKEE, RECIPE, SRIRACHA, Toronto, TORONTO FALL HOME SHOW No comments
"At CHEESEWERKS we prepare our Ketchup by roasting our tomatoes first with garlic. Nothing better than sticky, sweet caramelized skins and flesh of tomatoes and garlic. Plus, makes the restaurant smell so amazing."
- Kevin Durkee, CHEESEWERKS Big Cheese has shared his house-made ketchup & dip recipes below. Enjoy!
- 3 lbs ripe tomatoes (Roma or Vine-ripened are preferred)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled, left whole
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Kosher Salt & Cracked pepper, to taste
- Oven to 450°F.
- Quarter tomatoes, add garlic drizzle olive oil, sprinkle salt & pepper over them and roast them on a baking pan for 25-35 minutes or until they're soft, wrinkled and starting to take some “colour” but not too dark.
- Cool tomatoes/garlic for a few minutes, and then blend or food processor and puree until they're super smooth. We do this in small batches and sometimes puree 2 or 3 times to make a very smooth paste-base.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot over a medium heat, warm the sugar, keeping it moving with a wooden spoon, for about a minute.
- Add garlic and pureed roasted tomatoes and reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the vinegars and continue to cook for another 20 minutes or until reduced by two-thirds. The ketchup should be thickened by now. Remove from heat and season to taste with the cracked pepper.
- Strain the ketchup through a metal fine strainer and into a plastic container/bowl.
- Chill completely before adding any additional flavours or ingredients.
- Makes about 2 cups of house-made ketchup.
CHEESEWERKS Signature Roasted Garlic & Red Pepper
- Add ¼ Roasted Garlic puree and ¼ Roasted Red Pepper puree + freshly ground Black Pepper
CHEESEWERKS Signature Sriracha
- Add approx. 2 tablespoons of Sriracha (or to taste) to a batch.
Home Show Calendar
- Sept 9-11 | Raleigh Home Show
- Sept 22-25 | Calgary Home + Design Show
- Sept 23-25 | Capital Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Ottawa Fall Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Jacksonville Home + Patio Show
- Oct 7-9 | Deseret News Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | Edmonton Fall Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | The JoCo Home + Remodeling Show
How to Take Part
I recently discovered the coolest website EVER! Wordle.net generates free and customizable subway art in as quickly as 1 minute. Sim...
Tweet Thanksgiving and holiday entertaining is in full swing! We know you're all preoccupied planning meals and getting the ho...
It's gift giving season! As you prepare your list, consider making a few of your gifts this year. Impress your friends and family w...
Calling all bloggers, designers, and entertaining enthusiasts: we're searching for the next big name in design, entertainment, and all t...
Marketplace Events. Powered by Blogger.