Jul 22, 2014
BUILT-INS, DESIGN ADVICE, ENTRYWAY, FUNCTION AND FASHION, hallways, ORGANIZATION, ORGANIZE, shoe and tell, small space No comments
Although they’re usually one of the first spaces your guests will see upon entering your home, hallways and entryways are often under-designed. Their small size can present several creative challenges and limitations. This prompts many homeowners to assume they have to choose function over fashion when it comes to decorating these nooks – but as we’ll see in the designs below, baby, you can have both!
6 Functioning & Fashionable Hallways
1. A pop of color – That bright red or gold you were afraid to use in your living room or bedroom might fit perfectly in your hallway. Try it out! See how the red sideboard sizzles, but doesn’t overpower the space.
2. Sometimes simplicity is best – What’s worse than under-designing? Over-designing! Having too much furniture in a narrow space can often leave visitors feeling uncomfortable. This sparse hallway welcomes guests playfully.
3. If you build it, they will hang – Built-ins provide unique space-saving opportunities. If you’ve got a really small space to work with, try using the area under your stairs like they’ve done here.
4. Stay organized and stylish – Shelves and bins will help to keep your family neat and organized, but that doesn’t mean you have to compromise on decor. Develop your own theme within your storage furniture for a personal touch, like this nautical one.
5. Have fun with prints and patterns – A bold wallpaper can make all the difference, and layering complimentary images can add even more depth.
6. Try a cute carpet – Creating a warm, inviting space can be as simple as a clean rug with some rich colors.
What’s going on in your hallway? Are you feeling inspired by the designs above, or do you have an even better idea for welcoming your guests and keeping your family organized? Let us know! Tweet us (@HomeShows) pictures of your hallway or photos of some of your favorite entryway designs for a chance to be featured on our foyers, entryways and hallways Pinterest board.
Home Show Calendar
- Sept 9-11 | Raleigh Home Show
- Sept 22-25 | Calgary Home + Design Show
- Sept 23-25 | Capital Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Ottawa Fall Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Jacksonville Home + Patio Show
- Oct 7-9 | Deseret News Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | Edmonton Fall Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | The JoCo Home + Remodeling Show
How to Take Part
I recently discovered the coolest website EVER! Wordle.net generates free and customizable subway art in as quickly as 1 minute. Sim...
Tweet Thanksgiving and holiday entertaining is in full swing! We know you're all preoccupied planning meals and getting the ho...
It's gift giving season! As you prepare your list, consider making a few of your gifts this year. Impress your friends and family w...
Calling all bloggers, designers, and entertaining enthusiasts: we're searching for the next big name in design, entertainment, and all t...
Marketplace Events. Powered by Blogger.