Oct 8, 2014
CURB, CURB APPEAL, DESERET NEWS, Deseret News Home Show, DIY, downspouts, ENTRYWAY, FRONT DOOR, GUTTERS, PLANTERS, Salt Lake City, SEATING, SLC, SOUTH TOWNE EXPO CENTER, Utah, Vintage Bee Paint No comments
Whether you’re preparing to put your house on the market or simply want to upgrade and improve its look and feel, boosting curb appeal is the best place to start. Curb appeal is the message your house sends to those who view it. It can also transform your house into a much more inviting and warm home. If you are preparing to sell, improving the exterior is relatively inexpensive but extremely effective.
Cynthia Bee of Vintage Bee Paint is an expert in DIY home transformation, and she is excited to share advice on boosting curb appeal for your own home. She'll be presenting on everyday curb appeal at the Deseret News Home Show. Join her on the Design Stage on Saturday, October 11th and Sunday, October 12th to get advice for boosting your curb appeal on a budget and improving the facade of your home. But before you see Cynthia at the show, we asked her for some quick clues to a cuter curb. Get five simple tips below, then head to the show for more inspiration.
1. Play with the entryway - Creating a front door focal point that is both beautiful and functional is the number one way to boost curb appeal on a budget. Add a fresh coat of paint to the door - even consider a vibrant pop of color - and repair any imperfections on or around the door. Also experiment with decor, such as wreaths, plants on the stoop, interesting fixtures and seating near the front door, to create an inviting entryway even before setting foot inside.
2. Perfect pathway - A messy or unfinished pathway to the front door can send the wrong message. The path to the entryway should separate the driveway from the front lawn and the front lawn from the front door. Adding exterior ground lighting to illuminate the walkway or placing bushes and potted plants is a simple way to create a distinct separation and improve the overall appearance of the front of your home.
3. Front yard seating - If your front porch or entryway is fairly small, you might want to consider designating a portion of lawn as an outdoor seating space. Replacing a patch of lawn with concrete tiles or gravel and placing colorful chairs and even a small table within that space can transform the front of your home. This curb appeal option is a bit pricier than others, but the return on investment is potentially huge.
4. Revive planter beds - The appearance of the front garden can really work in your favor when boosting curb appeal. Begin pruning and weeding old planter beds and add new plants where they are needed. It may be helpful to consult with a landscaping expert, even if you do all the labor yourself. He or she can offer advice about the best plant based on the specifics of your yard and your desired look. Also, consider upgrading the borders of your garden beds to stone or decorative cast concrete.
5. Replace gutters and downspouts - If the gutter system on your home is old and in need of repair, it should be replaced immediately. Nothing decreases curb appeal faster than rusty or damaged gutters and chipped downspouts. It’s also important to consider the efficiency of water transfer from your roof through the drainage system. New and reliable gutters and downspouts help maintain the structure of the home.
The Deseret News Home Show takes over the South Towne Expo Center October 10-12, 2014. Join us for an event full of home improvement and decor advice, celebrity presentations, and local experts. Grab your tickets now to get the best deals - right now you can get two tickets for the price of one when you like us on Facebook. We can't wait to see you at the show!
Home Show Calendar
- Sept 9-11 | Raleigh Home Show
- Sept 22-25 | Calgary Home + Design Show
- Sept 23-25 | Capital Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Ottawa Fall Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Jacksonville Home + Patio Show
- Oct 7-9 | Deseret News Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | Edmonton Fall Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | The JoCo Home + Remodeling Show
How to Take Part
I recently discovered the coolest website EVER! Wordle.net generates free and customizable subway art in as quickly as 1 minute. Sim...
Tweet Thanksgiving and holiday entertaining is in full swing! We know you're all preoccupied planning meals and getting the ho...
It's gift giving season! As you prepare your list, consider making a few of your gifts this year. Impress your friends and family w...
Calling all bloggers, designers, and entertaining enthusiasts: we're searching for the next big name in design, entertainment, and all t...
Marketplace Events. Powered by Blogger.