Oct 6, 2014
DESERET NEWS, Deseret News Home Show, DINING, DINNER PARTY, ENTERTAINING, FALL, fall inspiration, SLC, Table Top Masterpieces, TABLESCAPE, TABLESCAPES, Utah No comments
Fall is the perfect time for good company and plenty of comfort food, which gives you an excellent excuse to plan out a fall-themed gathering. What better way to showcase the changing of the season than to create a festive tablescape for a fall holiday or casual dinner party?
1. Gather inspiration from nature - The best way to create a unique and seasonal tablescape is to follow nature’s lead. In the cooler months of the year, gather fall and winter foliage. Go out and explore your own backyard and incorporate the items you find into your tablescape theme. Also, build the color scheme around what you see in nature. Deep, rich, and vibrant colors are perfect for fall, and cool blues and grays make a beautiful setting during winter.
2. Consider scale and functionality - Large, dramatic centerpieces look stunning on first appearance, but they aren’t necessarily practical if you and your guests are sitting down to an intimate dinner party. Consider the type of atmosphere you want to create at your get together. Larger centerpieces are ideal if you want to create a setting that promotes mingling and movement. However, smaller scale pieces, such as tea lights and short vases, can be equally impressive for a sit-down meal with friends and family.
3. Take inventory of items you already have - For a budget-friendly, large-scale tablescape, it may be beneficial to take inventory of the items already in your possession. A collection of glass bottles or mason jars can double as beautiful flower vases and candle holders. Use a larger dinner platter for a centerpiece with candles and foliage, or create a dramatic tablescape with the plants found in your own yard. Once you have a better idea of the items already in your home, then you can create a list of items you may need to buy. You might be surprised how much money you’ll save!
4. Mix and match textures and colors - Don’t be afraid to get creative with different textures and colors on the table. If you want to play it safe for the first time around, choose one bold color to stand out from the rest of the centerpiece or select several shades of one color. However, a tablescape should be a reflection of your creativity and personal style, so mix and match until you find the perfect look for your next party.
5. Sometimes less is more - When it comes to elegant tablescapes, sometimes less is more. Subtle beauty is memorable in the best way and gives you the opportunity to focus on additional decorations around the table without overdoing it. An intimate dinner party can feel cluttered with an overcrowded tablescape. Save the drama and glitz for holiday gatherings and themed parties.
For more tablescape ideas and inspiration make sure to visit the Table Top Masterpieces feature at the Deseret News Home Show. Local designers will be creating stunning displays that are sure to enchant at any dinner party. Participants include: Jen Scott, Sara Schmutz, Ashlee Prisbrey, Holly Moeller, Krista Dearden, and Ruthie Knudsen.
The Deseret News Home Show takes over the South Towne Center October 10-12, 2014. Buy your tickets soon to receive the best deals - right now you can get two tickets for the price of one when you like us on Facebook. Treat a friend and yourself! We can't wait to see you at the show!
Home Show Calendar
- Sept 9-11 | Raleigh Home Show
- Sept 22-25 | Calgary Home + Design Show
- Sept 23-25 | Capital Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Ottawa Fall Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Jacksonville Home + Patio Show
- Oct 7-9 | Deseret News Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | Edmonton Fall Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | The JoCo Home + Remodeling Show
How to Take Part
I recently discovered the coolest website EVER! Wordle.net generates free and customizable subway art in as quickly as 1 minute. Sim...
Tweet Thanksgiving and holiday entertaining is in full swing! We know you're all preoccupied planning meals and getting the ho...
It's gift giving season! As you prepare your list, consider making a few of your gifts this year. Impress your friends and family w...
Calling all bloggers, designers, and entertaining enthusiasts: we're searching for the next big name in design, entertainment, and all t...
Marketplace Events. Powered by Blogger.