Oct 7, 2014
BEEKMAN 1802, CELEBRITY, CELEBRITY SPOTLIGHT, DESERET NEWS, Deseret News Home Show, FABULOUS BEEKMAN BOYS, Farm To Table, Salt Lake City, Seasonal Living, SLC, Utah No comments
In 2008, Brent Ridge and Josh Kilmer-Purcell purchased a beautiful neighborhood farm in upstate New York for weekend getaways to relax and refine their gardening skills. At the time, both were leading busy lives in New York City—Brent was a geriatrician turned vice president of a health and wellness magazine, and Josh was a former advertising executive and New York Times bestselling author. During the recession, both men were hit hard and were forced to make an important decision about their futures in the city. Fortunately, this difficult time only brought Brent and Josh closer and served as the catalyst to finally start their own business with the Beekman farm as the foundation. From that moment on and with the support of many in the community, Brent and Josh inspired a movement in seasonal living.
We're thrilled to have Brent and Josh, or The Fabulous Beekman Boys as they're better known on their hit Cooking Channel show, joining us at the Deseret News Home Show. These city-meets-country charmers will be appearing live on the Kitchen Stage to talk about the farm-to-table movement, living seasonally, and creating traditional, wholesome, delicious dishes. But before you see them at the show, get to know the boys a little better with our brief interview below.
Three Questions for the Beekman Boys
Marketplace Events (MPE): How have your lives changed since moving out of New York City to the Beekman Farm in a much smaller community?
- Beekman Boys (BB): "With our careers in the city, we were merely part of the daily grind. Days were indistinguishable, and we had a tendency to take things for granted. Life on the farm has taught us the pleasures of seasonal living, delayed gratification, and truly appreciating what we have around us."
MPE: What is one of the most memorable moments from filming The Fabulous Beekman Boys?
- BB: "The most memorable experience for us is watching how the show has changed our little community of 547 people in Sharon Springs. We have annual Harvest Festivals that now bring over 12,000 new “friends and neighbors” into our community each autumn."
MPE: What will both of you discuss on stage at the Deseret News Home Show in Salt Lake City?
- BB: "We’ll discuss how our life together on the farm inspires everything we create and design - from our recipes to our beauty products to our furniture collection. We also want to inspire the Salt Lake audience to visit our little community in Sharon Springs."
The Deseret News Home Show takes over the South Towne Center October 10-12, 2014. Make sure to grab your tickets soon so you don't miss The Fabulous Beekman Boys. Right now you can get two tickets for the price of one when you like us on Facebook. We can't wait to see you at the show!
Home Show Calendar
- Sept 9-11 | Raleigh Home Show
- Sept 22-25 | Calgary Home + Design Show
- Sept 23-25 | Capital Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Ottawa Fall Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Jacksonville Home + Patio Show
- Oct 7-9 | Deseret News Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | Edmonton Fall Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | The JoCo Home + Remodeling Show
How to Take Part
I recently discovered the coolest website EVER! Wordle.net generates free and customizable subway art in as quickly as 1 minute. Sim...
Tweet Thanksgiving and holiday entertaining is in full swing! We know you're all preoccupied planning meals and getting the ho...
It's gift giving season! As you prepare your list, consider making a few of your gifts this year. Impress your friends and family w...
Calling all bloggers, designers, and entertaining enthusiasts: we're searching for the next big name in design, entertainment, and all t...
Marketplace Events. Powered by Blogger.