Oct 20, 2015
AB, ALBERTA, CELEBRITY, Decor, Decor Advice, Edmonton, EDMONTON EXPO CENTRE, EDMONTON FALL HOME SHOW, JANETTE EWEN, small space, Small space strategy No comments
Has anyone ever told you that less is more? Perhaps this phrase is hard to hear when you are trying to make your tiny apartment look like a spacious luxury home that fits more than your cat and a stack of Nicholas Sparks books. But trust us, even your small space can have big style - you just have to know where to start.
Janette Ewen, interior stylist and lifestyle expert, says it’s important to look at small spaces as opportunities rather than challenges. After many years of contributing to publications like House and Home and Chatelaine and appearing regularly on Cityline and HGTV, Janette knows a thing or two about how to make rooms go from drab to fab whether they’re big or small.
Four Tips for Decorating Small Spaces
1. Pick patterns wisely. Janette says wallpaper, textiles, rugs and accessories can fill small spaces with life and character that can’t be achieved in larger rooms. If you think the only way to make your space seem larger is to go with minimal furniture and decor, you are wrong.
2. Use lighting to your advantage. Maximize the natural light coming through the windows with chic and simple coverings, and consider an ornamental drape of you’d like something more luxurious (just make sure you only use one drape and tie it to one side to let natural light in).
3. Bare walls, be gone. Your first instinct might be to paint the walls white to create the illusion of more space, but painting them with black matte paint will create visual space.
4. Be Fearless. If you are afraid to take design risks, you will never see the results you want. Janette says it is important to just dive in and go for it no matter how unsure you might be about the outcome; you will never know if you don’t try.
Janette is a top authority for all things interior design, and she is sharing her wealth of knowledge with homeowners at this year's brand new Edmonton Fall Home Show. The home and garden event of the season takes over the Edmonton Expo Centre October 23-25, 2015.
Get 2-for-1 when you connect with us on Facebook! Treat a friend or family member to the show - we can't wait to see you there!
Home Show Calendar
- Sept 9-11 | Raleigh Home Show
- Sept 22-25 | Calgary Home + Design Show
- Sept 23-25 | Capital Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Ottawa Fall Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Jacksonville Home + Patio Show
- Oct 7-9 | Deseret News Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | Edmonton Fall Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | The JoCo Home + Remodeling Show
How to Take Part
I recently discovered the coolest website EVER! Wordle.net generates free and customizable subway art in as quickly as 1 minute. Sim...
Tweet Thanksgiving and holiday entertaining is in full swing! We know you're all preoccupied planning meals and getting the ho...
It's gift giving season! As you prepare your list, consider making a few of your gifts this year. Impress your friends and family w...
Calling all bloggers, designers, and entertaining enthusiasts: we're searching for the next big name in design, entertainment, and all t...
Marketplace Events. Powered by Blogger.