Jan 4, 2016
ENERGY EFFICIENCY, GREATER PHILADELPHIA EXPO CENTER, INSULATION, LOWER ENERGY COST, Pennsylvania, PHILADELPHIA, PHILADELPHIA HOME SHOW, PHILLY, PHILLY HOME + GARDEN SHOW, PHILLY HOME SHOW, Roofing, WINDOWS No comments
Improving the energy efficiency of your home can often seem like a costly undertaking, so Global Home Improvements, a local leader and innovator in home renovations and improvements, shared five options homeowners can consider when looking to bring the cost of energy bills down.
It’s important to view these upgrades as long-term investments. Over time, the amount of money you will save on utility bills will offset the costs of the upgrades suggested below.
2. Attic Insulation: Because heat rises, over 40% of all heat loss is lost through the attic, so it’s important to make sure your attic is well insulated. Over the last 50 years, the building code standards have changed in regard to how much insulation should be used in an attic. Not only that, homes built before 1970 have outdated insulation that is much less efficient than insulation made today. Insulation will give you the highest return on investment (ROI) on your heating bills, because it is the most effective material for keeping heat in, and can be less expensive than other alternatives.
3. Insulated Siding: When looking to insulate, consider replacing your home’s siding - especially if it’s an older home. They now make foam insulated siding intended to improve energy efficiency. It will also give your home a more updated look enhancing the curb appeal. Insulated siding is a great option to look at because it is easier and much more cost efficient than insulating between your walls. You would have to rip into the wall and go into the rafters, which can become a major, burdensome project.
4. Metal Roofing: During the summer months, when trying to keep the heat out, a metal roof can be extremely effective. When the sun hits your home, it’s not just the heat, but also the radiation that makes your house hot, so the metal roof reflects the heat and radiation to keep your home cool. A metal roof can be especially effective in ranch homes or homes with a finished attic or cathedral ceilings.
5. Solar panels: Solar panels can be a great way to improve your carbon footprint and create a long-term investment for significant energy savings. However, before you even considering solar, you should look into the first four options, because it doesn't make sense to put solar on an inefficient house. With solar panels, you’re not offsetting 100% of your electricity – you’re offsetting about 50%, so it’s important to first get your energy bill as low as possible. Make your home air tight and as efficient as possible, then solar can really make an impact.
With these energy-saving options, you not only save and money and reduce waste, but your home is more comfortable to live in, and there is less stress on your heating and air conditioning units helping them to last longer.
Global Home Improvements will be at the Philly Home + Garden Show, January 15-17 at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center, in booth# 201 discussing these energy saving tips and more! Don't have tickets yet? Get 2-for-1 when you connect with us on Facebook and bring a friend or family member to the show - we can't wait to see you there!
GREATER PHILADELPHIA EXPO CENTER
JANUARY 15-17, 2016.
Home Show Calendar
- Sept 9-11 | Raleigh Home Show
- Sept 22-25 | Calgary Home + Design Show
- Sept 23-25 | Capital Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Ottawa Fall Home Show
- Sept 29 - Oct 2 | Jacksonville Home + Patio Show
- Oct 7-9 | Deseret News Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | Edmonton Fall Home Show
- Oct 21-23 | The JoCo Home + Remodeling Show
How to Take Part
I recently discovered the coolest website EVER! Wordle.net generates free and customizable subway art in as quickly as 1 minute. Sim...
Tweet Thanksgiving and holiday entertaining is in full swing! We know you're all preoccupied planning meals and getting the ho...
It's gift giving season! As you prepare your list, consider making a few of your gifts this year. Impress your friends and family w...
Calling all bloggers, designers, and entertaining enthusiasts: we're searching for the next big name in design, entertainment, and all t...
Marketplace Events. Powered by Blogger.